At this point I’m adding avid baker to my resume. Something about baking is therapeutic for me. Believe it or not I don’t always bake but when I do I’m usually reaching for the zucchini to make bread. Can you blame me? Theres a full cup of veggies in each loaf. I’m all for adding those veggies in any way possible.
While recipe testing I made several loaves. My very first loaf I gave to my family to test. Slowly they’ve been more open in trying whatever recipes I seem to whip up in the kitchen. To my surprise they all loved it! It wasn’t until after they had a taste that I disclosed that it had zucchini. You really can’t taste any zucchini at all.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees C.
- Grate zucchini and set aside. In a large bowl whisk all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and chocolate chips until well combined. In a separate bowl whisk egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, grated zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and gently whisk until just combined. Batter should be a little thick. Be sure to not over mix.
- Pour/add batter to a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Bake in oven 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean when inserted in bread. Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool on rack before cutting bread. .
Jasmin Foster is a registered dietitian and food photographer in Washington,DC who believes in healthy balanced eating.