This impressive Winter Farro Salad makes a warm and filling meal and is the ultimate bowl goals. Enjoy by itself or as a side with additional protein choices
Today I bring you the entire season wrapped up perfectly in the most modern bowl ever- Winter Faro Salad made with Nature’s Greens Kale. I couldn’t wait to get my hands (to cook with) some hearty grains. Something about grains just makes my soul feel really good inside. What better way to get my fix with a batch of farro. This super ancient grain is filled with protein, tons of fiber, Vitamin B3, Magnesium, and Zinc. After my first bite I was reminded why I love it so much anytime of the year but why I especially love farro with this meal.
For one, this Winter Farro Salad is super filling thanks to that fiber I just mentioned. I love adding greens whenever possible which not only gives it this wonderful color but adds to the nutrients. Sweet potatoes, another wonderful addition is like the cherry on top adding a touch of sweetness that balances with the savory seasonings like garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
Nature’s Greens has been my go to for finding good quality kale, mustard, and collard greens especially when cooking for a large group of people. Each bag is throughly washed and perfectly chopped which cuts down on my prep in the kitchen which is always a win.
How to Make Winter Farro Salad
Start by preparing the sweet potatoes. Peel the skin off and then cut into small cube sized pieces. Season your sweet potato with a drizzle of olive oil followed by salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and cumin, and garlic powder. Toss to combine evenly and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes (while tossing every 10 minutes to help cook thoroughly) or until tender.
Next prepare your farro and kale. Using a medium sauce pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add dry farro and toast for about 1 minute or until farro becomes fragrant. Add the 3 cups of water or broth to the pan. Boil and the simmer of about 30 minutes. The liquid should reduced significantly.
Chop the shredded Nature’s Green’s Kale into small bite sized pieces. In a large bowl combine the sweet potato, faro, kale, and add the feta cheese crumbles.
This post is sponsored by Nature’s Greens.
Winter Farro Salad
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 3 cups Nature’s Green Kale Greens
- Pre heat oven to 400. Roast sweet potato cubes for 25-30 mins. In a small pot or pan. Warm olive oil and add garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Add faro and toast for about 30 seconds and until it starts to get fragrant. Add broth. Bring to a boil for 25-35 mins or until most liquid is absorbed. While faro is cooking prepare kale by chopping into small strips. Drizzle with olive oil and massage/toss to loosen kale. One faro is done remove from heat. Add kale and sweet potato. Toss in feta cheese.
- Cut sweet potato into small cubes. Season your sweet potato with a drizzle of olive oil followed by the salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and cumin, and gatlic powder.
- Toss to coat sweet potatoes evenly and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes (while tossing every 10 minutes to help roasting evenly )or until tender.
- Using a medium sauce pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add dry farro. Toast for about 1 minutes or until farro becomes fragrant.
- Add the 3 cups of water or broth to the pan. Boil and the simmer of about 30 minutes and liquids significantly absorbed.
- Chop the shredded Nature’s Green’s Kale into small bite sized pieces. In a large bowl combined the sweet potato, faro, kale, and add the feta cheese crumbles. Toss to combined evenly. Enjoy
Cook with broth to add more flavor.
Farro absorbs a lot of liquid as it cooks.
1 cup of dried farro yields about 2.5 to 3 cups when cooked.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?! TAG @MASHANDSPREAD & INCLUDE #MASHANDSPREAD ON INSTAGRAM!
Jasmin Foster is a registered dietitian and food photographer in Washington,DC who believes in healthy balanced eating.