I can’t think of anything better to snack on while cozy under a warm fire. This Christmas I traded the cold in Washington, DC to spend time with family at home in Florida. So there’s no fire, just snacking here.
The holidays can be a tough time of year. For me its a reminder of the loved ones lost because they aren’t here to celebrate. It’s important to be happy, stay strong, and find balance as we indulge in holiday meals. Chickpeas are the ultimate source of protein that can be eaten many ways. Toss with your favorite salad, mashed to make hummus, or just eaten by itself as a crunchy snack.
This recipe tops my list as one of the easiest because it only calls for 5 ingredients. Can of chick peas, olive oil, honey, mustard, and a sprinkle of salt. Drain and rinse one can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans to rid excess sodium. Place napkin/paper towel on a baking sheet and spread chick peas on top. Dry chickpeas by gently pressing them with another napkin/paper towel. Usually I let them sit for 10 mins to ensure they dry. Remove napkins from the chickpeas, sprinkle olive oil on chickpeas and roll them around to coat them in olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and stick in the over at 375 degrees for 30 mins.
While the chickpeas roast, combine honey and mustard in a bowl. After 30 minutes take the chickpeas out of the oven and toss chickpeas with honey mustard sauce. Place chickpeas back on backing rack and continue to roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
Honey and mustard separately are both strong flavors but together form the perfect sweet sauce. This recipe for chickpeas gives a hint of honey mustard and is not overwhelming at all. For bigger batches this recipe can be easily double or tripled. You can never have enough chickpeas.
In my experience chickpeas are best stored in an air tight container. After a day or so the crunchiness turns mushy so it’s best to eat them sooner than later. Happy snacking. Happy holidays!
- 1 can (15 ounces) of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Turn oven on to 375 degrees.
- Drain and wash chick peas.
- Place napkin on baking sheet and pour washed chickpeas on top.
- Pat chickpeas with napkin. Allow to dry for 10 minutes.
- Remove napkins. Keep chickpeas on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle olive oil and sea salt on top. Roll chickpeas around to coat evenly in olive oil.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Mix honey and mustard in medium sized bowl.
- After 30 minutes remove chickpeas and combine in honey mustard sauce.
- Add chickpeas back to baking sheet and continue to roast for an additional 15 minutes or until crunchy,