Can’t beat chocolate, but chocolate flavored quinoa? Just take me now!
2016 is finally here and I’m taking my chocolate addiction with me. I present to you a Chocolate Raspberry Quinoa Parfait to satisfy that sweet tooth. With only 8 ingredients this too can be your next dessert to devour. When I think of quinoa I think of side dishes and salads. Who said it couldn’t be dessert?
The raspberries are just the icing on the cake. Feel free to do more than drizzle the sauce on top.
Side note: Would you believe I grew up thinking certain foods were automatically nasty? Just blame it on the texture, ha! Raspberries was one of them, don’t ask why. I’ve slowly started eating more of the things I just knew I didn’t like when I was younger. Good thing is I didn’t die like I said I would. The world’s pickiest child grew up and became a Registered Dietitian. Who would of thought?
Now back to dessert.
One question I here most is how to make fluffy quinoa. Rinsing before cooking helps remove the wax coating which helps makes it fluffy. Not only is this a healthier version of dessert but it contains plenty of antioxidants in quiona, fiber packed raspberries, and naturally sweet honey .
- For the quinoa
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- For the yogurt
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1-2 drops of vanilla extract
- For the raspberry sauce
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- For the Raspberry sauce:
- Mix rasbperries, lemon juice, and honey in blender until smooth. Stain with ginsh mesh strainer to remove seeds (optional). Set aside.
- Place 1 cup plain greek yogurt in small bowl. Add 1-2 drops of vanilla extract. Mix until well blended. Set aside.
- Rinse quinoa throughly for a couple of minutes using a mesh strainer.
- Place medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Toast quinoa for roughly 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add almond milk and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low ad simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is fully absorbed the almond milk.
- Remove from heat, transfer quinoa to bowl.
- Add cocoa poweder, 3 tbsp honey, and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Mix until well blended.
- Layer chocolate quinoa, yogurt till it reaches the top. Drizzle with raspberry sauce. Or you can try adding the sauce in between layers.