These tacos are a dream. Made with fresh kale from Nature’s Greens and seasoned chicken with all the spices.
This is a sponsored post from Nature’s Greens. All opinion and photography is my own.
Don’t know about you but February felt like the longest month ever! Now that it’s March I’m excited to talk about the most important monthly holiday for dietitians, National Nutrition Month. National Nutrition Month is an annual campaign to create awareness around healthy eating. Each year the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics creates a theme. This year’s theme is a look back in time with its retro vibe and the message ” Eat Right, Bite by Bite”. This theme also promotes that good nutrition does not have to be restrictive.
In the name of learning to enjoy the food you eat I wanted to share a new recipe, Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Kale Slaw. I had this grand idea of what I wanted to fix for dinner one night. I wanted to make a hearty soup with kale. My heart was set. I went to the grocery store but immediately after walking in decided to scrap the whole idea. I walked around for a minute to see if I could muster up any inspiration for what I wanted to cook. Then I realized I hadn’t made tacos in a while. So I quickly headed to the bread section to get some tortillas and planned out the entire meal in the store.
I came home and immediately began cooking to make these tacos. It’s one of the meals that you don’t alway need a recipe for, you just cook to what feels right. This recipe is a adaptation of what I created on that night. It was the most delicious batch of tacos I’ve made in a while.
Tips for Making Tacos
There are essentially 3 different components to this recipe… making the chicken, making the cilantro lime kale slaw, and making the avocado crema. The most effective way to prepare this dish in the least amount of time is start with the kale slaw. This slaw is made with one of my favorite brands for good quality green, Nature’s Greens. I opted to by the larger bag (which is a whopping 2 pounds) so that I could make all the kale slaw I wanted and flash freeze any leftovers to enjoy at a later time. After mixing everything together for the slaw, transfer to the fridge for about 15 to 20 minutes to let the kale soap up the flavor.
While kale is in the fridge the next step is to prepare the chicken. I decided to not add any oil to the chicken when seasoning. To ensure that the chicken was evenly coated I used tongs to toss the chicken for a a couple of minutes. When each piece of chicken is covered in the all of those delicious spices transfer to large skillet and cook over medium heat. I used just enough olive oil to cover a thin layer of most of the bottom of the pan. It’s very important to arrange chicken in a single layer to allow to cook evenly. After cooking for about 4-5 minutes, the cooked side of the chicken should start turning golden brown. Flip chicken over cook for an additional few minutes or until cooked through.
Once the chicken is done then remove from heat. Allow to cool off for a few minutes and cut into strips. Lastly comes the avocado crema. A blender is the easiest option because it cuts back on time. Add the avocado crema ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Although I was tempted to thin this sauce with water I left the crema sauce as is and had no regrets.
Assemble the tacos (as pictured I layered with the kale slaw first, then chicken, next added avocado slices, and lastly the avocado crema).
Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Kale Slaw
Cilantro Lime Kale Slaw
- 1 cup Nature’s Green Kale Greens
- 2 limes-juice freshly squeezed
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 4 green onion
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic
How to Make Cilantro Lime Kale Slaw
- Wash and chop Nature’s Greens Kale (removing any stems) into small bite sized pieces. Add lime juice, olive oil, fine sea salt, cilantro leaves, shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrots, and green onion. Mix until evenly combined. Set in fridge for about 15 to 20 minutes.
How to Make Chicken
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Season chicken and set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium hear. Pour olive oil to slightly coat the bottom of the pan. Cook chicken in a single layer in pan until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes on each side. One cooked through, remove chicken and cut strips of chicken with knife.
How to Make Avocado Crema
- Add avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt, and garlic to a blender. Blend until smooth
- Add cilantro lime kale slaw, chicken, and avocado crema to a tortilla. Top with additional avocado or cilantro (optional)
Jasmin Foster is a registered dietitian and food photographer in Washington,DC who believes in healthy balanced eating.