Summertime is here and I’m ready for all the summer food. Starting with the cookout. Freshly squeezed lemonade, grilled vegetables and meat are just a few of the faves but one thing that remains consistent is a good slaw. Slaw is so underrated. It’s more than just a store-bought blend of ice berg lettuce and matchstick carrots. The possibilities are endless with the different combination sof lettuce, vegetables, and marinades.
This recipe for a Cucumber Cabbage Slaw is the perfect versatile dish made (sans mayo) to eat by itself as a side, on top of hamburger or hot dog, or in a yummy bowl. The key to good a slaw is the cut of the cabbage and cucumbers. No one wants to chew on large chunks of slaw. It’s important to julienne the vegetables.
How to make Cucumber Cabbage Slaw
Start with cutting your cucumbers and cabbage. You have two options. Cut vegetables by hand with a sharp knife or use a mandoline. Prep your vegetables by julienne cutting the cucumbers and chopping the cabbage into small shreds. Add to a large bowl along with the fresh parsley.
In a small container combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix together. Add the liquid mixture to the large bowl and toss thoroughly. You can serve immediately or let marinate for an hour.
How to Julienne a Cucumber
If a mandoline slices is not available, manually cutting the vegetables is an option. To julienne a cucumber slice off the ends of the cucumber. Cut cucumber in half (width wise) to shorten the length of the cucumber. Stand cucumber upright. Slice into 1/4th inch pieces. Stack 2 or 3 pieces on top of each other. Cut again in 1/4th inch sticks.
Cucumber Cabbage Slaw
- 4 small/mini cucumbers
- 6 cups cabbage, julienne
- 1/4 cup fresh parsely, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Take the cucumbers and julienne with a knife or mandolin slicer. Set aside. Next take the cabbage and julienne as well. Combine cucumbers, cabbage, and add the parsley in a large bowl. Set aside
- In a small container combine the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, ground cumin, salt, red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
- Pour liquid into the cucumber cabbage in the large bowl. Toss until the cucumber, cabbage, and liquid is well combined.